As a leading Greenwich Village, NY, dentist, Dr. Brisman offers today's most advanced cosmetic dentistry options to correct a wide range of aesthetic issues and help patients look and feel their best.
by David L. Brisman, DMD
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry includes all the treatments that can be used to help correct aesthetic issues that affect the appearance of your teeth and your smile.
What kinds of issues can cosmetic dentistry address?
Today, there are lots of options for treating cosmetic dental issues, including:
- Crowns to cover misshapen, damaged or discolored teeth and close gaps between teeth;
- Bridges to help span gaps left by one or more missing teeth;
- Veneers to cover the surface of discolored or damaged teeth so all others see is a perfect, flawless surface;
- InvisalignTM, a clear, virtually invisible tooth alignment system that uses a system of removable trays, or aligners, to gently shift teeth into their proper positions in less time than traditional metal braces;
- Tooth-colored composite fillings so cavity restorations remain invisible, even when you laugh or yawn;
- Whitening procedures to help teeth look healthy and naturally white.
Can cosmetic benefits improve my overall health?
Yes; by treating cosmetic issues like spacing problems, crowding, cracks, chips and missing teeth, you can help eliminate many of the nooks and crannies where decay-causing bacteria hide and multiply. Plus, some procedures like Invisalign can help properly align your bite so your teeth meet more naturally, avoiding uneven wear and pressure that can cause chips, cracks and even chronic headaches. Replacing dark amalgam fillings with composites can remove potentially unhealthy mercury from your system. And even purely cosmetic treatments like whitening can help you feel more confident and self-assured about the way you look.
Will my insurance cover my treatments?
If your treatment is purely cosmetic, no, insurance companies will not provide coverage; if it involves a restoration, that part may be covered. If you're concerned about the cost of your treatment, speak to our office staff about financing options that can help you afford a great-looking smile.